1) Am I eligible to participate in this hackathon?
The Better Health Hackathon: #CodeForCovid19 is a global hackathon open to all participants over the age of 18.
2) Can I participate in an individual capacity? How can I form a team if I don't have one already?
You can participate as an individual, or form teams with up to six members. Once you register, you can use our community forum to join teams or form your own.
3) I am an employee of HCL. Are there any restrictions on my participation?
HCL employees are welcome to participate across the same challenge areas, however would have to refer to the specific conditions applicable to their participation in the Terms and Conditions document. HCL employees are also eligible only for a separate prize pool, the details for which can be found here. HCL employees are required to form teams only with fellow HCL employees.
4) What is the format of this Hackathon?
The Better Health Hackathon:#CodeForCovid19 is a virtual event with an 8 week online development phase, with shortlisted teams tele-pitching their solutions live as part of the final round.
5) Are there any restrictions on the kind of technology my team can use for our project?
While we would encourage you to consider other platforms to build your projects, as well tools and solutions from our partners at Microsoft, teams are free to utilize any offerings that best suit their project.
6) Will my team receive any free technology resources to build our project?
22 teams will get the opportunity to work with complimentary Microsoft Azure credits, courtesy our principal partners – Microsoft. Teams will be able to enter into a lottery for a total one-time allotment of $2,500 in Azure Credits by filling out an application that can be found on the event platform. In order to enter the lottery, you must submit an application NOW thru June 24th. The 22 lucky lottery winners will be notified on June 25th.
7) What kind of ideas or solutions are invited for #CodeForCovid19?
Teams can explore potential problem areas detailed under each of our four broad challenge areas. You can choose to pick one of the suggested problem statements or ideate a use case outside the list, which would fit into one (or more) of the four challenge themes.
8) I already have an idea or solution created that would be relevant for #CodeForCovid19. Can I participate?
Yes, you can participate. We encourage teams and participants to avail the mentorship guidance, knowledge resources and learning opportunities on offer across the hackathon to further refine and scale their solution.
9) Who will own the IP of the project I build and enter for the Hackathon?
Projects developed by HCL employees or teams will see their IP owned by the organization. Participants from HCL are allowed to work unrestrcitedly on their projects using organization resources and during regular working hours as a result.
All other participants and teams retain the rights to the IP they create over the course of the hackathon.
10) Are there any learning and development opportunities available for participants?
Participating teams can look forward to an exciting schedule of live webinars with experts across healthcare, technology and business, as they provide invaluable business insights, perspectives and specialized training. Stay tuned to the platform for the latest updates on upcoming webinars, or view recordings of sessions you may have missed.
11) Will I receive some guidance or mentorship across the development phase?
The Better Health Hackathon: #CodeForCovid19 will empower your efforts with a number of experts who will be available to share feedback and insights across areas of technology, life sciences and healthcare. You can view a list of onboarded mentors in the "Mentors" tab, and you will have the opportunity to schedule interactions or direct questions via the "Conversations" tab. Check the Mentor's profile to understand their availability for interactions.
12) The hackathon has been extended!
Please note that the hackathon has been extended! Thank you for all your feedback, we hear you! We're giving you an additional 3 weeks to continue working on your great solutions. Projects are now due and must be submitted on the event platform by August 14th at 11:59pm ET (was previously July 22nd).